The biggest night in fashion is coming on Thursday, September 6, 2012. It's Fashion's Night Out! Jamaica will be a buzz with fashion enthusiasts, lovers of shopping and thrifty people alike. I'm very excited to cover the event on your behalf and hopefully I find some well-dressed patrons on location to photograph. I doubt I'll be shopping this year but I will be there to feed off the excitement and vibe.
Here are some of my quick tips to guide you through this shopping extravaganza:
- Wear comfortable shoes. If you know that you'll be walking a lot then flats/sneakers will be the most comfortable shoes to wear to the event. I'm a lover of high heels and if you are too then rock some wedges to give you the height and comfort.
- Wear fitted clothing e.g. leggins and tank tops. Shopping at FNO is similar to thrift shopping. You probably won't have access to a changing room. So, in order to accommodate trying items on you will have to just throw it over what you're wearing. If you wear clothing that clings to your body then you will have a better idea of how your new clothes will fit you when trying them on.
- Eat before you go. Nothing is worse than being stuck in a crowd and walking around in circles when you're hungry. There won't be many places for you to take a seat either. Play it safe and have dinner before you leave home or walk with a snack.
- Stay hydrated. With all the walking you're about to do it's cool to keep even a small bottle of water in your bag.
- CARPOOL! I cannot stress this enough. The traffic will be ridiculous no matter what part of the island you're in. It is easier to take the bus or to carpool. When you carpool you can pick a safe place to park and then everyone can walk to the respective places they need to go. Trust me, you will save yourself the frustration with this tip.
- Keep it simple. FNO is also TNO (thieves' night out). Unscrupulous persons will blend into the crowd and take what is not theirs. Keep your jewellery and other accessories (like your bag) simple.
- Stay alert. In keeping with the previous tip, it's important to stay alert and basically be paranoid lol. keep your bag/phone/watch/wallet in sight at ALL times.
- Go with a plan. Keep your target shopping list in mind. Go out early and head directly to the stores that have the things you want. Don't walk aimlessly because it's first come first served and dog-eat-dog.
- Use plastic. If you don't have to walk with hard cash then don't. This leads me back to 6 and 7. FNO will be a thief's playground. Protect yourself in as many ways as you can.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN! It can be a very stressful and competitive environment (yes I'm still talking about shopping) so lighten up and have fun. If you don't get something you wanted then it's not the end of the world.
I'm sure there are plenty more tips around so if you have any more just leave them in the comment box below. Just click on the FNO link above to see participating stores and locations in Jamaica. Good luck!
Peace, Love & Blaze,
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Google+
Watch me on YouTube